The Federal Skilled Trade Program
Canada welcomes people of all skill levels under the various immigration programs in order to ensure that all gaps in the Canadian workforce are filled by qualified foreign nationals when there is a shortage of Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents. The Federal Skilled Trade Program gives those who have the necessary skills and experience the opportunity to immigrate to Canada from South Africa.
Applicants will need to be able to meet the following criteria in order to apply:
- You plan to live outside of Quebec (Quebec has its own immigration system)
- You meet the specified language requirements for your occupation
- At least two years of work experience in a skilled trade in the past 5 years AND
- You have a job offer from a Canadian employer of at least one year OR a Canadian skilled trade certificate or qualification
The Federal Skilled Trades Program is not just for those living abroad and wanting to immigrate to Canada from South Africa, it can also be used by those who are already working temporarily in Canada. If you are already working in Canada on want to apply as a Federal Skilled Tradesperson you will need to ensure that your current work permit is valid and that all work experience obtained in Canada was done while on a valid work permit.
Currently the Canadian Government fees for this program are as follows:
- $550 CAD for the main applicant
- $550 CAD for the spouse of the main applicant
- $150 CAD per dependent of the main applicant under 19 years of age
If you would like a consultant to contact you personally to help you immigrate to Canada from South Africa then click here to submit your details